Sunday, August 15, 2010

Silence in the City

This morning I awoke to gloomy weather, but I decided to venture out to Falls Park regardless. Falls Park is located in the center of Downtown Greenville and truly is the heart of Downtown. Although this park is only a few miles from my home, I have not visited it often, knowing that it's a "hot spot"- as the town grows, so do the crowds (which is a great thing, don't get me wrong!).
As I drive up and easily find a parking place, I realize this may be a good time to visit. This was going to be my first experience on the Liberty Bridge. Yes, I've lived here my entire life and I've never been on the Liberty Bridge. This bridge spans the width of the Reedy River and overlooks the falls. While I'm not a big fan of bridges in general, this one was such a pleasant experience. The sound of the water rushing beneath you and the incredible beauty of the rushing falls erases any fears. It's worth every tremble.
As I take my first step onto the bridge I realize there is not a soul to be seen. Literally, there is not one person around. I'm standing on this bridge, above the river, in the dead center of blooming Downtown Greenville, and there is not one person to be seen or heard. With the recent growth of our town I've become use to the crowds so it was surreal to be alone with the city around me.

I took my time crossing the bridge, taking in every angle of beauty. On the other side I find myself in a delimma. Do I go up towards Main St? Do I go down and explore more of what the park has to offer? Do I follow the river towards town? I decide to follow the stairs down and explore more. I come across old staircases, little nooks of rocks with mini-waterfalls surrounded by beautiful greenery. The empty park reveals pathways, swings, and vast green lawns that would be perfect for a picnic. I stopped to take it all in and realize that I'm down in a valley by the river, the bridge above me, and buildings rising out of the hill-side all around me, and I'm falling in love with my hometown all over again. The beauty and the peace of the river is something that you must experience! People or not, this park is a true masterpiece and I will definitely be visiting more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment